Hello New Liberty Band Students and Families,
I am extremely excited to have all of you join the Liberty Band community in just a couple of months! Judging from the performances you gave this year and conversations with Ms. Sunmark, this group of incoming freshman is a special group of musicians.
First, I want to bring your attention to our summer band camp which runs August 17th-21st from 12:30pm-3:30pm. All percussionists are required to stay an extra hour for sectional time until 4:30pm. Students who can’t make the camp are expected to submit a playing test of the marching music during the second week of school. This camp is required of all band students and it serves a couple purposes. First, we need to be ready to play about 12 pieces of music for our first football game during the first or second week of school. Second, this camp serves to welcome new members and help establish the Liberty Band community. I get the impression that veteran band members look forward to band camp every year.
Please communicate with me if your student has a prearranged schedule conflict. I would like to know about potential problems sooner rather than later.
*Private Lessons—Now is the time to find a private teacher or keep taking private lessons. The pace and difficulty of music is much accelerated compared to middle school. A private teacher can really help your student grow leaps and bounds. Your student’s musicianship is a serious asset for obtaining college scholarships and admittance. Please contact me if you need help finding a private teacher.
I understand that there are many fees associated with classes and that they present a substantial burden on many families. Please communicate with me if you feel that any of these fees will present a financial hardship to your family.
*Fees to pay in the fall:
- $15 course fee (covers transportation and festival fees)
- $10 uniform use fee (for marching band jackets)
- $7 band shirt (watch for more info later)
- $11 Band hat (watch for more info later)
- ($150 instrument rental fee for some students renting instrument from LHS)
- ($50 percussion fee for percussionists only)
*Materials to purchase
- Tux or black suit for men with cummerbund and bow tie(approximately $113)
- Dress for women (approximately $65)
- black dress pants (no jeans or leggings)
- black shoes— All black. No white on soles or logos or any part (could be dress shoes)
- Flip folder—These are available at Mills Music, Kennelly Keys, or Amazon. Follow this link to see an example: http://www.amazon.com/Grover-TR9400-Trophy-Flip-Folder/dp/B00065LM2E
- Lyre—Please visit a music shop to make sure you get one that fits your instrument. Flute players will need to ask about an arm brace that holds the flip folder.
Why does my kid have to buy a tux? Starting in high school and continuing to the professional level, the standard concert attire is a tux. All of the high schools in the district also wear tuxes for performances. In my research, I have found that purchasing a tux is the same price as renting a tux for the year. I am ok if your student wears a black suit (not blue, brown, ect…) with bow tie and cummerbund.
To take a look at next year’s performance calendar please visit my website: https://sites.google.com/site/libertyhighschoolbandandguitar/
Please contact me with an questions or concerns you may have about the materials or schedule.
Jared TannerDirector of Bands
Liberty High School